Top 10 lines from Jurgen Klinsmann’s pre-game pep talk.
1. Remember, the most important thing is not whether you win or lose, it’s whether you make me look good in my first game.
2. OK, so here’s the gameplan. Give the ball to Clint and let him…wait, has anyone seen Clint?
3. I know it’s risky, going with an all-out-of-favor-with-their-clubs starting XI, but I’ve put everyone’s CV on Craigslist already, so go get ‘em.
4. Now, the public is expecting a tactical masterstroke. Howard, you’re up top.
5. Yes, it really was all Jogi in Germany. No, that does not mean I will answer to Boo Boo.
6. Remember, our keys to the game: Never-say-dietude and stick-to-itiveness.
7. God I haven’t done this in a while…[stretches]. Now, who are we playing?
8. Alright, we’re 2-0 down, but we have a long 45 minutes ahead of us…what? Yes I know it hasn’t started, but I was told it was the only way to motivate you lot?
9. Where did I leave that bottle of “Jurgen’s Secret Stuff”?
10. I don’t know what to say really. Three minutes to the biggest battle of our professional lives. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers, must remember that great moments are born of great opportunity; what we do in life echoes in eternity, and I think you’ll find it’s the exact same measurements as our gym back in Hickory. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die and ducks always, always fly together. Eye of the tiger, boys.